Winterizing Your Home Can Help Prevent Frozen PipesIt may seem like an obvious question because there's only one element that can make anything freeze - the cold. And surely all of us here in Hudson Valley know exactly what it's like to freeze in the cold that winter brings. But, when it comes to your pipes, there's more to it than that. If you want to be absolutely prepared for these winters in Hudson Valley, then you'll need to know all the ways your pipes can freeze so you can try to avoid it all costs. And trust us - you'll want to avoid it! Leaving pipes frozen for an extended period of time can cause them to burst, resulting in a big mess for you to deal with.
Common Reasons for Frozen Pipes
- Windows that are open near pipes or water meters carry a draft
- If your basement isn't heated, your water meter and/or pipes can freeze
- Pipes or water meter that is enclosed or boxed-in against an outside wall
- Openings or cracks can let cold outside air in and get near the water meter or pipes
- Uninsulated pipes that are located against an outside wall.